Is there anything to help me overcome my fear of the dentist?
Yes. If you have a phobia of the dentist it can often deter you from visiting us for regular examinations and dental treatments. At the Grange Dental Centre we are sympathetic to your fears and can offer intravenous (IV) sedation and hypnotherapy.
What is sedation?
Intravenous (IV) sedation is given by injection into the back of your hand in most cases. The dose will depend on the treatment and the length of time required to complete the procedure at the appointment.
How will IV sedation in the surgery affect me?
Sedation will make you drowsy and unaware of the treatment never the less you will still be able to co-operate with your dentist. The effects of sedative medicine take time to wear off and your dentist will advise you how long the drugs will take to clear from your system.
Pre – operative instructions.
- You will be required to attend a pre appointment to assess your suitability to IV sedation and have your blood pressure recorded.
- Complete and sign a consent form.
- Have your regular meals before the appointment
- Bring a responsible adult with you to take you home by car or taxi.
- Inform the dentist of any medication you have taken.
Post operative instructions.
- Most people feel drowsy after the treatment and you will be required to stay at the practice until the dentist discharges you.
- You must rest and not perform any physically demanding work.
- Do not drive or operate any machinery.
- Do not consume any alcohol after sedation.
- You must contact the surgery if any problems arise.
Prior to a visit to the dentist you may try some relaxation techniques to control your anxiety. Some people find meditation and yoga work well.
Hypnotherapy sessions are available at the practice (by appointment only), so why not try a different approach to your fears and anxieties and make your visit to the dentist stress free.
Hypnotherapy can help with the following:
- Anxiety (including any fears of dentistry)
- Weight loss
- Smoking cessation
- Sugar addiction
- Nervousness and a whole lot more.
We are currently offering free consultations.